Prepared by Barbara Bass, October 1996
1 slim document case, .16 cubic foot, 11th floor
Alvin J. Miller, born in Grantsville, Maryland in 1884, joined the College of Education faculty in 1915 when Kent State University was the Kent State Normal School.
He took a leave of absence to teach at Ohio Wesleyan College, returning to Kent in 1917. In 1919 he went to the Soviet Union where he helped thousands of Russians escape from Russia to Germany and on to Canada. He also aided in many social projects including setting up public kitchens, negotiating contracts with the Soviet Union to import 50 American-made tractors to aid in agriculture to setting up a Red Cross center in Simferopol, Crimea in 1920.
Besides teaching at Kent State he also taught at Maryland Collegiate Institute, Goshen College and the College of Wooster. He returned to Maryland when he retired from Kent State University in 1974 after teaching for 37 years. He died in November 1981.
Folder -- Contents